This post may contain Affiliate Links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something. Please check our Disclosure Policy for more details.
You know those nights that you don’t want to spend all night in the kitchen, but want to feel like a chef? Yeah, this creamy pesto chicken pasta is perfect for exactly for those nights.
Ready in 30 minutes, so you can get back on your couch and Netflix. Or is that just me?
And I know, I know, it’s January, so you don’t need to be eating pasta, but since this recipe is pesto based, and it can easily be made low carb or keto friendly by substituting the spaghetti for any veggie based noodles, like spaghetti squash or zucchini!
I added some mushrooms to make it heartier, and some blistered tomatoes to add a bit of a freshness to the dish. Together they all blend together to make a a bowl of comfort, perfect for a night of binging TV.
For the pesto, you can make your own (which is easier than you think) or you can use store bought pesto sauce. If you choose to make your own, I’ve used this recipe from Food Network before, and it was delicious!
If you try the recipe, let me know below in the comments how it goes!
Creamy Chicken Pesto Pasta
- Spaghetti – 1/3 of the packet for 2-3 people, or 300 grams
- 1/2 lb of chicken breasts (approx. 2 chicken breasts) cubed
- 1/2 cup pesto for sauce + 1/4 cup pesto for chicken
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1-2 cloves chopped garlic (to taste)
- Red chilli flakes
- 1 cup or 75 grams fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup grape tomatoes (around 20-25)
- Cook the spaghetti pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Cube the chicken breasts and mix in 1/4 cup of pesto to coat the chicken
- Heat the skillet or pan. You won’t need any oil as the pesto is an oil based sauce.
- Over medium heat, cook the cubed chicken until it’s cooked through, no longer pink, around 4-8 minutes per side
- Remove from pan
Veggies and Sauce:
- In the same skillet as the chicken, cook mushrooms with the garlic, until tender and browned (around 5 minutes)
- Move the garlic to one side of the pan (or remove it, if it’s a small pan) and add the tomatoes.
- Let them cook until the tomatoes have blistered. You’ll know they’re close to being done once they start to explode.
- Remove the veggies from the pan.
- Turn down the heat to low, and add 1 tablespoon of butter.
- Once the butter is almost melted, add 1 tablespoon of flour, and mix until it forms a paste. Cook the flour for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly, in one cup of milk to the mix, and constantly stir with a whisk or wooden spoon.
- Stir constantly until the sauce is smooth, and is thickened – about 4-5 minutes.
Put it together:
- Turn off the heat and add in 1/2 cup of pesto. Mix the sauce.
- Add the chicken, tomatoes, mushrooms and spaghetti to the pan.
- Toss the spaghetti together with sauce, chicken and veggies to combine.