This post may contain Affiliate Links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something. Please check our Disclosure Policy for more details.
These moist chocolate cupcakes are topped with a decadent Oreo Swiss Meringue Buttercream. Top them with more Oreos and sprinkles for a fun treat!
This chocolate cupcake recipe is one of my favorite recipes ever! I shared it recently are one of my favorite recipes! I shared it recently when making these Chocolate Mousse Cupcakes, which are definitely a chocolate lover’s dream!
If you have a chocolate lover in your life, you need to make these cupcakes!
If you have a hankering for more cupcake recipes check out these:
- Chocolate Mousse Filled Cupcakes
- Mocha Cupcakes with Coffee Frosting
- Vanilla Spice Brown Sugar Cupcakes
- Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
Chocolate Cupcakes with Oreo Swiss Meringue Buttercream
There are two components to the recipe:
- Chocolate cupcakes – the cupcakes are moist, yet have an airy and delicate crumb rather than a dense cake.
- Oreo Swiss Meringue Buttercream – this frosting is super decadent! It is a regular vanilla Swiss meringue buttercream, like I use in this vanilla cake made for a gender reveal, but with a generous addition of Oreo cookies to flavor it!
These chocolate cupcakes are incredibly moist! They have a delicate crumb and are light and airy. And since we’re using oil and sour cream they tend to stay fresh longer!
- Canola Oil: These are oil-based cupcakes and this helps them stay fresh for longer. Butter based cakes will dry out quicker!
- Sour Cream: it is an added fat source and really helps to balance the flavors from the chocolate and sugar. It also helps produce that delicate crumb that is perfect for this cupcake.
- Melted Chocolate and Cocoa Powder: The combination of the two really gets that intense chocolate flavor we want in these cupcakes! I love using Lindtt Chocolate bars for these.
- Instant Coffee: This helps bring out the flavor of the chocolate. You can skip it or replace with espresso powder.
#1: Mix all the wet ingredients
For the chocolate cupcakes, we start with all wet ingredients except the water.
Mix together the sugar, oil and melted chocolate. Then add in the egg and beat it for a few minutes.
Finally add in the sour cream and mix until everything has been incorporated
#2: Add in the dry ingredients
Sift in the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Mix it just until the dry ingredients have been incorporated. Try not to over-mix the batter at this point.
#3: Mix and Bake
Lastly, add in the instant coffee and hot water. Mix the batter together.
Add it to a cupcake pan with cupcake liners, and fill them about 2/3 of the way.
Bake at 350ºF for 15-18 minutes. Cupcakes are done when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Oreo Swiss Meringue Buttercream
This frosting is the smoothest, most delicious buttercream frosting. I prefer Swiss Meringue Buttercream frosting to American Buttercream, because it is less sweet and more decadent in my opinion. But it can take a smidge more time can American Buttercream Frosting.
Ingredients and Tools
- Egg Whites: this recipe works with both fresh egg whites or egg whites in a carton.
- Sugar: granulated sugar is the to sweeten this frosting (as compared to powdered sugar in American Buttercream).
- Unsalted Butter: It doesn’t need to be softened. I usually take it out of the fridge right before I start the frosting.
- Oreo Cookies – the Oreo cookies are the star of the show – regular or Double stuf both work!
#1: Prepare the Oreos
Separate the oreo cookies from the cream.
Crush the cookies only in a food processor (or by adding the cookies to a ziploc bag and crushing with a rolling pin) until smooth.
Use a sieve and sift to ensure no large crumbs remain.
#2: Heat the sugar and egg whites to 165ºF
Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined.
Place the bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot and no longer grainy to the touch or until it reaches a temperature of 165 degrees F on a candy thermometer.
#3: Whip the meringue
Place the bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on medium-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. 5-10mins).
#4: Add in cubed butter
Switch to a paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter, a couple of pieces at a time and mix until incorporated.
Once all the butter has been added in, whip the buttercream until smooth.
Add vanilla, and the separated oreo cream and continue to whip until smooth.
Add in the cookie crumbs and fold until incorporated.
#5: Transfer to a piping bag
Once you’re happy with the texture, transfer the frosting to a piping bag, fitted with your favorite piping tip. I used a Wilton 2D Decorating Tip for these cupcakes.
Pipe the frosting onto the cupcakes, and decorate with additional Oreos if desired!
Tips for the recipe
- These chocolate cupcakes are the cupcakes are moist, yet have an airy and delicate crumb rather than a dense cake.
- To get a moist and fluffy cupcake (rather than a dense crumb), make sure to not overmix the batter. I typically mix dry and wet ingredients together by hand at the very end with just a spatula because it helps mix it just right.
- When preparing the Oreo cookies for the frosting, I prefer to use a sieve to sift the cookies to make sure the crumbs are small. Otherwise they can get stuck in the piping tip.
Let me know if you give it a try!
Tag me in your creations and follow me on Instagram @sprinklesandscribbles for more baking inspiration!
Chocolate cupcakes with Oreo Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 1/4 cup canola oil 60 mL
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar 150 g
- 1/3 cup chocolate 2 oz or 40 g
- 1/3 cup sour cream 80 g
- 1 egg large
- 1 cup all purpose flour 120 g
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder 25 g
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 tsp instant coffee
Oreo Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 180 grams egg whites about 6 large egg whites
- 360 grams granulated sugar
- 454 g unsalted butter 4 sticks
- 12-16 oreo cookies plus more for decorating
- Preheat oven to 350ºF.
- In a large bowl, mix together, the oil, white sugar, and melted chocolate. Add in the egg and beat for a couple of minutes. Next, add in the sour cream and mix until incorporated.
- Sift in the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder.
- Line cupcake tin with cupcake liners (about 12-14).
- Bake at 350ºF for 15-18 minutes. Cupcakes are done when toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cool cupcakes in cupcake tin for about 10 minutes, then transfer to wire rack to cool completely.
Oreo Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Separate the cream of 16 oreo cookies.
- Crush the cookies only in a food processor (or by adding the cookies to a ziploc bag and crushing with a rolling pin).
- Place egg whites and sugar into the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk until combined. Place the bowl over a hot water bath on the stove and whisk constantly until the mixture is hot and no longer grainy to the touch or until it reaches a temperature of 165 degrees F on a candy thermometer. Place the bowl on your stand mixer and whisk on medium-high until the meringue is stiff and cooled (the bowl is no longer warm to the touch (approx. 5-10mins).
- Switch to a paddle attachment. Slowly add cubed butter and mix until smooth. Add vanilla, and oreo cream and continue to whip until smooth.
- Add in crushed cookie crumbs (sift them in if desired – see notes).
- Fill large piping bag fitted with desired tip with Oreo Buttercream.
Filling and Assembly
- Frosting can be piped using a large tip like a Wilton 1M tip or 2D tip. Alternatively, you can use a spoon or offset spatula to spread frosting onto the cupcakes
- Decorate with sprinkles and additional Oreo cookies.