This post may contain Affiliate Links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something. Please check our Disclosure Policy for more details.
So in my last attempt at baking, I learnt a very important lesson, double check if you have every ingredient required in a recipe. Now, it would be unfair to call it just “an attempt at baking” because in a happy accident it produced the best brownie I have made to-date.
I really should back track and tell you the whole story. I started out with these Red Velvet Cheesecake Swirl Brownies on Sally’s Baking Addiction. It looks like an amazing recipe, but as I started to get into the process, I realized I had no white vinegar. I promise, one of these days I will try this recipe again – with all the ingredients on hand.
Anyways, while I was contemplating just leaving it out, I instead decided to add 1 1/2 tablespoons of coffee. That, my friends, results in the most decadent, rich brownie that is so perfect in contrast to the cream cheese on top!
I usually don’t make red velvet, it’s often too rich and sweet for my liking. I love chocolate desserts but I prefer my desserts have a hit of chocolate rather than a hit of sugar. Adding coffee was the solution, a not too sweet but very rich brownie – I’m drooling just thinking about it!
So here you go, it’s no big surprise that coffee would be my addition given my addiction. But the surprise had to be shared.
Here’s the recipe – with the coffee tweak! For the original refer to the post on Sally’s Baking Addiction
Red Velvet Cream Cheese Brownies
2 large eggs
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
1 1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 cup (21g) unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tbsp instant coffee (or 1 tbsp espresso)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon liquid or gel red food coloring
3/4 cup (95g) all-purpose flour
250g cream cheese, softened
1/4 cup (50g) granulated sugar
1 egg yolk
Prep: Preheat the oven to 350F degrees. Lightly coat an 8×8 baking pan with oil. Set Aside.
- Beat the 2 eggs together. Set aside.
- Melt the butter in a large microwave safe bowl in 30 second increments until melted.
- In the following order, stir in 1 1/4 cup sugar, 2 teaspoons vanilla extract, cocoa powder, salt, food coloring, and vinegar.
- Whisk in the beaten eggs, then fold in the flour until completely incorporated – stop mixing after you stop seeing the white streaks of flour
Cream cheese layer:
- With a hand-held mixer on medium speed, beat the softened cream cheese, 1/4 cup sugar, egg yolk, and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla in a medium bowl until completely smooth – about 1 minute.
Putting it together:
- Drop spoonfuls of the cream cheese mixture on top of the prepared brownie batter.
- Glide a knife through the layers, creating a swirl pattern
- Bake the brownies for 28-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the brownies to cool completely before cutting into squares.