This post may contain Affiliate Links, which means we may receive a commission if you click a link and purchase something. Please check our Disclosure Policy for more details.
This popcorn chocolate chip cookie recipe is a perfect sweet and salty treat for your next movie night!
Snacks and movie night go hand in hand.
If you watch movies without snacks, I don’t think we can be friends! (Sorry!)
Of course, thanks to Rona we’ve been indoors a lot. This has involved lots of at-home date nights.
I even have a post about different stay at home date night ideas, if you’re also, like us spending lots of time indoors.
No matter what different activities we try to plan, there’s no doubt there are a lot of nights spent on the couch with Netflix!
My husband is a popcorn lover, but I usually I can’t decide whether my I want my movie snacks to be sweet or salty. So why not combine them.
That’s the origin story of these sweet and salty popcorn chocolate chip cookies.
A FEW TIPS FOR SWEET AND SALTY POPCORN CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
These are the tips that will make your popcorn cookie amazing!
- Pop your popcorn beforehand, to allow the popcorn to cool down. if you plan to salt your popcorn, do so while it’s hot so it sticks to the popcorn.
- You can either use microwave popcorn or stove-popped popcorn. If you’re using microwave popcorn, you may want to skip the extra salt on the top.
- I recommend using semi-sweet chocolate chips because it created a more balanced sweet and salty cookie. But if you prefer a sweeter cookie, feel free to sub in white or milk chocolate.
- This cookie recipe, like my other cookie recipes, uses equal parts brown and white sugar, an extra egg yolk. This results in a soft and chewy cookie.
- Make sure to chill the cookie dough. The extra time in the fridge is what makes these cookies chewy. Don’t skip it!
Follow me on Instagram @sprinklesandscribbles for more baking inspiration!
Ready to make these Popcorn Chocolate Chip Cookies?
Shop my favorites:
Sweet & Salty Popcorn Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 2.5 cups all-purpose flour 301 grams
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking power
- 1 1/3 sticks unsalted butter melted 150 grams
- 1 1/3 cups white sugar 150 grams
- 1 1/3 cups light or dark brown sugar 150 grams
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 egg
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup popped popcorn or 1/4 cup popcorn kernels
- Prep and cool the popcorn. Once cooled, coarsely crush the popcorn.
- Melt the unsalted butter in the microwave and let cool for 2-3 minutes.
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients together: all-purpose flour, baking soda, salt.
- Once the butter has cooled, add the white sugar, and brown sugar, and let sit for about five minutes.
- Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla to the mixture and mix on medium speed for another 3-4 minutes. The batter should be light-colored and fluffy at this point.
- Add in the dry ingredients and mix well until all the dry mixture is combined with the wet ingredients just until combined. Don’t overmix.
- Add in the chocolate chips and popcorn, then fold into the rest of the batter.
- Divide the batter into equal balls of dough (I use an ice cream scooper to help). The dough usually makes about 16-18 cookies, depending on the size.
- Place mixture in the fridge for at least 2 hours (ideally overnight).
- Pre-heat oven to 325F degrees.
- On a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat, place cookie dough balls at least 1.5 inches apart.
- Place cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 12-16 minutes. The sides should start to brown on the sides but the center will look soft.
- Remove from oven, and rap the cookie sheet on the counter to get that rustic cookie look.
- Leave in the cookie sheet to cool for at least 20 minutes.
- The cookies will be too soft when they are fresh from the oven and will harden as they cool